Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nature in Power

Nature is a big part of the novel. As I finished the novel I really found that I enjoyed all the of the nature that was in it. As spring is coming it really helped me get through my cabin fever of winter in South Bend, IN and I felt ready to get into spring, and of course, graduation.
The use of nature in Power is very profound. It is found throughout the novel. In the beginning it is used in a general way by Omishto and how much she loves the outdoors, but then it quickly shifts to an eventual way of life when she goes to live with the elders at the end of the novel. I thought the transition was fairly smooth after the incident with the panther and the court room and the additional events that led to her decision to live in the Taiga way. I appreciated her courage to leave behind all the things that she was accustomed to and live in the old ways.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this book helped me prepare for Spring. The nature images helped me remember the warm days. Also, the freedom Omishto receives from living a double life (white and Indian)reminds me of the freedom we all are about to get. Summer!

    ReplyDelete